Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Seven


The Morgans have been separated for three months.
Paul (Hugh Grant) invites Meryl (Sarah Jessica Parker) to dinner, to celebrate their third month of separation, so he says. Paul misses his ex-wife. He apologizes profusely and wants to make amends. But Meryl doesn't budge. She has been hurt with Paul's infidelity and could not trust him again.

After dinner as the ex-couple walks home to Meryl's job, they witness a murder. With that, they enter a witness protection program and is sent to Wyoming as the Fosters. Not having much choices, they deal with each other along with their issues whether they like it or not.

Paul invites Meryl once more to a date. Meryl accepts. However, being New Yorkers, they didn't sit well with the locals at the restaurant, so they are forced to leave early.

In the car as they go home, Meryl asks, "Why her?" Paul tries to joke his way out of the conversation, but Meryl is determined to know the answer. "Why her?"


::Present Time::

It is supposed to be our seventh seven days from now. But it ceased to exist seven or so months ago. There are times that I wonder what has happened between us. Was I to blame? Did I push him away? And why him? Cliche kung iisipin pero ano nga bang mayro'n siya na wala ako. It is just so happened that he is there and I ain't? Or there is something more deeper than it?

I could ask him, but I couldn't. I wouldn't. Para saan pa kasi na malaman ko kung ano ang dahilan? May magbabago ba? O magiging panibagong torture lang ang makukuha ko sa mga sagot na bibitiwan mo? Kakayanin ko pa ba 'yun gayung ang pinagdaraan ko ay isa ng malaking parusa na as it is?

When it comes to situations like these, may dalawang nag-uumpugang school of thoughts na gumugulo sa 'kin. Should I be like Paul and try my darndest to pursue him kahit pa magmukhang tanga? At least, di man maging favorable sa 'kin ang result, I know that I tried.

Or be like Meryl who has given up completely on them and accept defeat?

Ang kaibahan nga lang, Paul and Meryl has something to fight for--their marriage. I have none. Wala akong pinanghahawakan. I was just an ex-boyfriend. Not an ex-husband.

At nasa piling na siya ng iba. He is fulfilling our dreams and aspirations together--with another man.

Ano pa ang magiging laban ko?

The Morgans has finally rekindled their feelings for each other. They start talking about their dreams once more, and what has happened between them.

One night Meryl calls Paul. They are sleeping in separate rooms. They go out of the house, and Meryl shows Paul the sky as the stars shine on it. Under the stars they reminisce their wedding vows. Meryl recites a Shakespeare poem while Paul remembers his own, saying that he would protect her and be her best friend all his life.


::Flashback to three-four years ago::

Tita Dolly asks us to help her with their computer. Since he is the only computer expert I know, I bring him to the Tondo residence. There he patiently makes butingting the PC and tries to determine the problem. Inabot siya ng gabi pero hindi niya tinigilan ang pagkukumpuni ng PC. Hindi talaga nagawan ng solusyon in the end, but at least nalaman kung ano ang problema nito.

On our way home I thank him, adding that I appreciate what he did. He responds, "Kung ano ang magpapasaya sa 'yo, magpapasaya rin sa 'kin."

It melts my heart hearing him say those words.


::Flash forward to 2009::

Nagkakagulo na kami. He is confused. So am I. Hindi ko alam kung sa'n ako lulugar for he hasn't given me a concrete reason why he is in limbo. However, the tone is slowly changing. Promises are starting to break.

He says, "Bi, I don't think na kaya ko pang panindigan ang mga pangako ko sa 'yo. Kung noon kaya kong isugal ang buhay ko para sa 'yo, hindi na ngayon."

It breaks my heart into pieces knowing what he just said.

The Morgans decide to stay together. But Meryl is troubled. She has a secret. She has slept with someone while she and Paul were separated. She tells Paul. He begins to close himself, staying away from her every chance he gets.

Meryl refuses to not hear from him. He opens up. They argue once more.

Amidst the argument, the killer in the beginning of the story finds them. They run away to the city to find the detectives who are protecting them. However, Paul takes the situation into his own hands. He confronts the killer with a bear spray, but ends up hurting himself.

Fortunately, the crowd sees him and protects them from the killer.

Meryl tells Paul how stupid he is for doing such thing. He could have killed himself. Paul tells her that he is just fulfilling his vow to her. He is protecting her.

They kiss and all is well with them once more.


::Flashback to 2003::

We are in a jeepney going to Monumento. We are having an argument, but we have stopped talking. While the jeep is not moving, someone snatches my necklace. He immediately goes down and run after the thief.

I am worried. I walk to every possible street that you might be in, but there is no sign of him. I tell myself how stupid he is for doing what he did. I begin to ask myself what would I do if ever something bad has happened to him. My mind is going through all the possible worst scenarios that could've happened.

I pray for his safety. As I walk, I did not stop asking God to protect him. Then, I see him walking towards me. He is sad, saying that he couldn't get my necklace back. He lost the thief.

When we get home, I hug him tightly, at the same time telling him that he shouldn't have ran after the snatcher. He says that he has to protect whatever is important to me. That necklace, which was given to me by my father, he knows, is important to me.

I tell him that he is much more important than the necklace. I'd rather lose it than lose him.


::Flash forward to 2009::

Someone takes him away from me. Sobrang unfair para sa 'kin dahil I wasn't given the chance to fight for myself. To prove myself to him. Andito ako sa Pinas, nasa New Zealand sila. Hindi patas ang naging laban. And the situation was handed down to me as if I had no other choice but to accept it. Wala na rin naman akong magagawa in case hindi ako pumayag.

Pero wala na akong magagawa dahil na ako ang nagpapasaya sa kanya. Hindi na ako ang gusto niyang protektahan. He would have never broken my heart kung mahal pa niya ko.

If Paul and Meryl get their happy ending, it remains to be seen if I'd get mine, whether with him or some other guy.


::Present Time::

My only consolation now is that minsan, sa pitong taon na pagkakakilala ko sa kanya, pinangalagaan niya ko...

Minsan, minahal niya ako...

Minsan, ako ang naging mundo para sa kanya...

Minsan, naging iisa kami...


No comments: