Wednesday, January 26, 2005

"Elektra"-cute Her!

Biboy and I saw the premiere showing of "Elektra" tonight. The tickets were given to his father because Ovaltine was one of the sponsors of the film, along with Jam 88.3, Centrum, and Speed Magazine. Si Rodel nga dapat kasama niya pero iniwan na lang nami si Rodel sa Gamol to see "Enteng Kabisote".

When we were lining-up, medyo kinabahan si Biboy. Andun kasi yung officemate ng papa niya na sobrang tsismosa. Baka makita siya at tanungin pa kung asan si Rodel. Pag nagkataon, malalagot na naman siya (kami!) sa tatay niya.

Anyway, as what I've said before, I wasn't up to seeing "Elektra". Judging from its awful trailer, I sensed it that the film might be awful, as well. Being a movie fanatic since I was a kid, medyo nase-sense ko na 'yung mga bagay na 'yan. Minsan poster pa lang ng movie, alam ko na. 95% of the time, I'm right. The 5% is my error of margin.

With "Elektra", I wasn't wrong. It wasn't as worst as I thought it was, but my oh my, it was bad! Firstly, the "Elektra" character came from the "Daredevil" movie. (I wouldn't make any reference to the comic characters anymore since I haven't read the comic edition.) And, "DD" is an example of those shitty films which you wouldn't dare to see the second time around. (I only watched it because of Colin Farrell, though.) So why make a spin-off out of a really bad film?

Second, Elektra died in the movie. There was no hint whatsoever that she'd be back to life. So why bring her to life this time? What's so special about her?

Third, "Elektra" movie did not even make mention of DD or what happened after she died. Could it be that the no-reference-to-Daredevil meant that the producers or the director or the writers or whoever doesn't want to be connected to the said film? Buy why oh why? Do they account the fact that it was truly a bad film? Am I stressing hard enough how bad DD is? Hehehe.

Fourth, "DD" was a flop. So, again, my question, why make a film about one of the characters of the said movie? What is so special about Elektra, for chrissakes?!

Like "DD", the characters in "Elektra" just came out of nowhere. The audience didn't exactly know who they were or what part do they take in Elektra's life. It was just like the makers were saying, "You're interested about Elektra and the characters? But the comics!" Yeah, right! Duh! This is not a classic and my world wouldn't change a bit if I won't get to read the comic edition.

Anyway, who the f**k were the bad guys? Why are they after the little girl? What do they want from her? What was their group all about? Oh my god! Questions questions questions!

During the first scene, as Elektra was about to assasinate whoever the hell he was, the movie wanted to show that she was someone whom people should be scared of. "She whispers to you before you die..." Whooo... Scary! Scarier that seeing the ring before you die! Siyet!

The fight scenes were so-so. Jennifer Garner still looked awkward with her martial arts style of fighting, again, just like in "DD". The only thing I liked about it is "Tattoo" and the effects whenever the beasts tattooed in his body come out.

Obviously though, "Elektra" was a character made by a man who would love to see a long-haired woman strutting her stuff while fighting the bad guys. I hope that they have updated it. What sane woman would be comfortable "saving the world" with that super long hair? She can't even wear pony-tails! There was a scene in the film where she was cleaning up after killing, she said that she was wiping her dna away. I'd say, forget about the prints! Think about all the strands of hair that fell off while she was jumping, kicking, or throwing her ass on air!

So you're still wanna know what is so special about Elektra? NOTHING! Quoting a review I've read from Dustin Putman
, "Elektra would have been far better off staying dead and buried". Amen to that!

(edited write-up here)