Thursday, March 09, 2006

Elizabethtown

I'm soooo loving Elizabethtown from the first ten minutes of the film to its last scene! I can't believe that until now, it hasn't been shown here! It is already out on DVD (abroad) yet still no theater schedule.

The plan for Drew Baylor (Orlando Bloom) is to design the what would be considered as the greatest pair of shoes of the century! It took him eight years to work on it that his family and social relationships took the backseat. However, he failed on doing such. So he decided to end everything for him but it was cut short when his sister called. She told him that their father died and he needs to go to Elizabethtown for the burial preaparations. New plan was made: visit Elizabethtown, retrieve his father's body, go back to his place, kill himself. This time, he's bent on doing what he has planned to do - without failure!

On his plane ride, he was met by the charming flight attendant, Claire Colburn (Kirsten Dunst). He was so caught up with his situation that he failed to noticed how positively sweet Claire was to him and lost the attraction along the way.

In Kentucky, Drew learned how loved his father was. Relatives, friends, and basically the whole neighborhood remember him for how great his person was. Ironically, Drew feels that he'd be remembered for the greatest mistake he done - his almost-a-billion-loss shoe design.

Panicking and feeling stressed-out, he called Claire. On they've talked for hours and hours about anything and everything till they decided to meet for sunrise and see what's instore for both of them. Atractions were affirmatively definite for them except they couldn't go through with it for two huge reasons: Claire's Ben and Drew's plan. As they make most out of the times they spent together, they learned more about love, life, and relationships. And once they leave Elizabethtown, they'd be two better persons. In love, hopefully.

It is so easy to fall in love with Elizabethtown or any other Cameron Crowe movies for that matter! As with all his films, this one has all the Cameron trademarks with it - lessons about love and relationships, thought-provoking questions about life, country-ish feel yet universal, and soundtrack that goes through what the character experiences, in short, the soundtrack of one's life! However, amongst all his films (Vanilla Sky, Almost Famous, Singles, Say Anything), Elizabethtown is closely comparable to Jerry Maguire. If Jerry Maguire became once the movie of your life, then this one won't be far behind. Good thing that he really made sure that Orlando and Kirsten (to which the characters were written for) do this film and not go for second best.

So see Elizabethtown and be ready to experience how life and death isn't so different at all.

The following are some the unforgettable quotes in the film that one time or another were questions or statements in my life:

1. Claire: Do you ever just think that you are fooling everybody?
- There were times in my professional life that I begun to question my abilities. I wondered if ever people would see pass through me and think that I'm a fraud. Today, I realized that no one can tell you what you could and couldn't do. You should never let them doubt yourself because only you knows what you could accomplish.

2. Claire Colburn: I'm going to miss your lips. And everything attached to them.
- Awww... Isn't that sweet?

3. Claire Colburn: I want you to get into the deep beautiful melancholy of everything that's happened.
- Once in awhile, I feel that it is a must for people to go through moments (or days) of alone-time and silence. In that way, one would able to comprehend the lessons in life.

4. Claire Colburn: I'm hard to remember, but I'm impossible to forget.
- I'm wondering whether this a compliment or not...

5. Claire Colburn: I've spent so much time thinking about all the answers to the problem, that I forget what the problem actually was.
- So true!

6. Drew Baylor: If you're smart, you'll just wear your shoes and never ask any questions. Just enjoy your footwear.
- While questioning is better for the soul, sometimes, it complicates things even more.

7. Hollie Baylor: It takes time to be funny. It takes time to extract joy from life.
- And it sure takes time to notice that life is wonderful after all...

8. Drew Baylor: In that moment I knew success not greatness was the only god the world served.

9. Hollie Baylor: I was still waiting for everything to start, and now it's over.
- There are people who hold on to things while waiting for that right moment. Until they realized that life passed on and they ended up with nothing.

10. Jessie Baylor: May your loss be met with a hurricane of love.

12. Claire Colburn: I'm just wondering if this whole thing is better on the phone. You're so much better on the phone. Maybe we should never face each other again.
- Ah, the undeniable question for people who instantly clicked on the phone...

11. Drew Baylor: A motto of theBritish Special Service Air Force is: "Those who risk, win." A single green vine able to grow through cement. The Pacific Northwestern salmonbeats itself bloody... on its quest to travel hundreds of miles upstream... against the current,with a single purpose. Sex, of course. But also... life.
- Period.

This movie made me think again whether I'd have the same kind of appreciation from people I know when I pass away. 'Cause, I believe that in life, professional success won't matter much in the end but the relationships you made with people and the lessons they learned from you. I wish that once I go, I'd be able to plant enough seeds to be remembered over and over again...

*For Elizabethtown's full transcript, go here.

No comments: