Monday, April 10, 2006

A Mistake As Big As Kong!

I didn't realize that I would regret not seeing Peter Jackson's King Kong on the big screen! It wasn't that appealing to me when I saw its trailer. Or maybe, it was because I was never a fan a Kong in the first place. I haven't seen any of the previous movies so I really had no idea what it is all about aside from him being a giant ape. Add to that are the dinosaurs which I had enough of from Steven Spielberg's Jurassic Park Series. I thought that PJ couldn't do anything that I haven't seen in SS's park! But I was sooooo darn wrong! For a movie freak like me, it is a mortal sin not to see this movie on the big sreen the way it was supposed to be seen! Shame on me for doubting the magic that a Peter Jackson could do! If he made wonders with LOTR series, he certainly made it happened again here! I don't think that I could ever forgive myself for dismissing this film! With the T-Rex and Kong's battle alone, this is worth the hundred bucks plus the popcorn and drinks! Damn it!

Anyway, on DVD, I was quite hesitant to get it. I wasn't that impressed with the packaging on this one, especially the Region 3 version! Remember, I'm into the overall look of the package! So when I learned that there would be a director's cut treatment, I became excited! "I'm hoping at some point we'll get a chance to actually have a longer version of Kong because there's certainly a lot of very good stuff; there's a lot of dinosaur action, there's more dinosaur sequences, and as you saw, there's the journey across the swamp. There's a couple of sequences between Ann and Kong that we trimmed out. There's actually some nice scenes that, well, that's one of the beauties with DVD is that often you do get a chance with extended cuts to finally complete those scenes and finish them, " PJ said.

The best thing about PJ is that he never comprises his work even if studio execs. asked him to trim the film down. That is, of course, because he believes in what he does. He takes his time to develop the characters and their emotions for the audience to truly understand them. "We tried really hard to make it as short as we could, to tighten it up, and we got to a point where we didn't want to tighten it any more than we did because ultimately you're making a film for a particular reason, you're making it for a particular audience, and we did arrive at a length which we felt was the best way to tell that story." He combines special effects with true human feelings and emotions. For that, I salute him!

A PJ movie is a definite must-watch!


Full Peter Jackson Interview

No comments: