Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Il Mare

It's official! Jun Ji-hyun is now one of my favorite actresses since she did three of the most outstanding films I've seen namely "My Sassy Girl", "Windstruck", and "Il Mare". Though the latter came out first in 2000, I've watch it the latest because it was just recently that I was able to take hold of its DVD. I've been hearing about the said movie long before I became a Korean Cinema addict. But not knowing anything about it, I didn't purchase any copy. It was only when I learned that Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves is recreating it for Hollywood that I became interested in it. I want to see it before Hollywood make a trash out of it, I thought. So when I finally got hold of my copy, I didn't jump quickly on watching it because it had "Frequency" plot written all over it! I'm a big fan of "Frequency" and I feel that those who tries to adapt such plot are just mere poor copycats. Anyway, having exhausted all the Korean DVDs I have, it was but time to see this one. And never realizing it, I have saved the best for last!

Eun-joo (Ji-hyun) and Sung-hyun (Lee Jung-jae) met by corresponding through letters. They have both lived in the same house called "Il Mare" but only in different times. As they write to each other, they eventually learned more about one another and somehow fell in love. Love became the reason why they wanted to meet each other. Only that they were living and writing to each other in different time lines: the end of 1999 (Eun-joo) and 1997 (Sung-hyun). How was the conflict resolve? Well, I'd just leave it here so as not to spoil anything for you.

So, was "Il Mare" a mere poor copycat of "Frequency"? I stand corrected. It was not! It had adapted the plot in an entirely unique way and made it all its own. What stands out the most was how heartfelt the emotions were. This movie would take you along with its ride that in the end, you'd be where the characters are. Honestly speaking, this movie made my tears flow, my heart ached, and my emotions soared up all at the same time!

I'd definitely see Keanu and Sandra doing this movie. I just hope that they wouldn't take so much out of it just to make it Hollywood-ish.

P.S. The TV trailers for this movie are magnificent! Ibang klase! Gawang Asyano!

No comments: