Sunday, April 12, 2009

In Focus: Sex and the City - The Complete Series [Collector's Giftset]

Sex and the City - The Complete Series [Collector's Giftset] is an absolute must-have for any serious Sex and the City collector. However, with an initial price of $200 in Amazon (outside Amazon, it's $300), I couldn't afford it. I still couldn't shell out such a price (even though it's on a greater discount now at around $120+) until today, so I opted to buy this second-hand set that I saw at PinoyDVD. It costs me PhP1500, so it was such a bargain. 'Cause it was practically a steal, I really didn't expect a mint (or almost mint) copy. Medyo lukot na ang front cover, the DVDs have scratches on them (grrr!), at hindi na maayos ang spring at notebook na nakakabit. (I guess, it is a major flaw of the design. Hindi talaga siya sturdy.) Aside from that, wala na rin ang back leaflet. Nevertheless, keri pa rin. At least I have one. For collection purposes lang.

Someday, I'd buy a brand-new set. (Lalo na kapag super sale na siya!) OR, if a new collector's gift set will come out, I'd get one! In the meantime, this will do.










The bonus disc (not available in the separate season-DVD discs) has some games in it and extra features like guides to the locations, quotes, and guests.

The reason why I wasn't so hang-up about this worn-out copy was because I already have the entire series on separate DVD season.s They are in R1. The first two seasons I got on DVD were Seasons 2 and 3 which I bought from Megamixx store in Megamall. The store used to sell imported CD singles (where I purchased some Madonna singles) and imported DVDs. But it ran out of business. (Nalugi 'ata sila at pinagbawalang magbenta ng mga R1 DVDs -- bawal kasi rito sa 'tin.) I was in heaven when I got my first two seasons. (Hindi pa kasi nagbebenta ng SATC dito n'ung time na 'yun.) It became two of my prized possessions! Sa ngayon nga ay medyo luray-luray na ang cover ng S3. Pinagpasasaan din kasi ni Biboy!

The rest of the seasons were second-hand, as well, but were in mint condition when I bought them. From PinoyDVD members din who are DVD addicts, too, so they really take care of their collection. (Iba 'yung case ng nakuhanan ko ng Collector's Giftset kasi consignment 'yun sa nabilhan ko. Hindi talaga kanya.) Kaya tipid talaga n'ung mabili ko sila.














These are R3 editions. I bought them here, in Astro Plus when they went on sale. I didn't have the R1 S5-S6 then so I got these. FYI: S5 VCDs came out here first than in the US (on DVDs). I also have it, but gave it away to save space in my shelf. Besides mayro'n na naman ako nito.



Siguro, even if I already have the R1 S6, I'd still get this R3 local version. I just love the way it looks! Sa ngayon, di pa ko nate-tempt kumuha ng VCDs ng S6 kahit na gustong-gusto ko rin 'yung cover nila. (The covers they used were the ones used in the SATC DVD Essentials.) May price tag pa 'yan for remembrance. Naging 50% siya bale. (Same with S5.)



By the way, our local copies are pressed from R2 version (Europe), S1-S2. Noong lumabas ang R3 S1, mukha siyang pirata, but it wasn't. Hindi nga lasng kasi talaga kagandahan ang R2 covers at nu'ng i-print na sa 'tin 'yung cover, mas lalong nagmukhang cheap. (See R2 edition here.)

1 comment:

Acy Ramos said...

NAKAKAPAGLAWAY NAMAN ITO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!