Sunday, April 08, 2007

Exclusivity

You know how it feels when God plays tricks on you sometimes? I mean, in a good way. He just keeps you in so much suspense at times that you tend to give up on your dreams, wishes. Just when you are about to cool down and lose hope, He'd turn the temperature high till you reach the boiling point and boom! You'd get your surprise. It is His way of saying, "Just trust in Me."

A month ago, I sent my storyline to Star Cinema as a product of our brainstorming. Medyo nahirapan ako. Choosing a language to use pa lang, nalito na ko. I couldn't put the right words in English so I did it in Tagalog. After writing it, I felt uncomfortable. Parang may kulang. Parang may mali. But still, I sent it. Bahala na si Batman.

Weeks have passed and I didn't hear from the SC people. So, hindi na ko na inasahang mapasama sa training despite some words of encouragement from friends. Several things went through my mind. Was I good enough? Did I write well? Was writing it in Filipino a bad choice? Was writing really the career choice for me? Should I start moving on? Should I find a different path to take?

There was nothing left for me to do but wait. It was the make or break moment. Kung hindi talaga para sa 'kin, wala na kong magagawa.

Monday, March 26, I received a call from Ms. Vangie. The words, "Isa ka sa napili namin for the training..." were music to my ears. Kulang na lang ay magtatalon ako sa tuwa! However, I kept mum about it to my friends until I have signed the contract on Thursday, March 29. Baka kasi maudlot pa, naisip ko. It ain't over till the fat lady sings, ika nga. Thank heavens was all I could say when I was writing my John Hancock. This is it! I am now part of the Creative Development Group's writer's training. Ibang level na 'to!


The training will start this coming week 'till December. Afterwards, evaluation, and if lucky, I'd go on with the advanced training the following year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed 'till then.

Years ago, I didn't see myself working (I wouldn't call what I'd do in the training, though, as "work" exactly -- it has something to do with work equals salary) for ABS-CBN. Since college, I consider myself as an exclusive "Kapuso." But recently, I found myself in the middle ground. I found myself not exclusive to anything. While I really don't believe in staying in the middle, especially with some issues (one has to choose sides!), there are advantages to it. I guess, like any other person, we have pre-conceived notions about "the other side." We think that one is better than the other. It could be the case to some things, but it doesn't work with other stuff.

Since elementary, I belong to an exclusive class (comparable to block section, in college). I had the same classmates/friends until we reached our fourth year high school. We were opposed to classes going hetero but we could do nothing. (Nagpapaka-"hetero" rin ako that time, if you know what I mean. He he he.)

During the first few weeks of class, there was an all-out war. Naghalo talaga ang balat sa tinalupan. Tahimik kami, maingay sila. We belong to the "higher" class, they belong to the "lower" class. I even wrote an article entitled "Sa Pula, Sa Puti" to express my disgust re our room situation. If we didn't have any seat plan, we could've stayed divided till the last day of class.


However, as we get to know "the others", we learned that they aren't so bad after all, and vice versa. I realized that the advantage to the new sectioning was having new friends. It was such a diverse group that I get to enjoy hanging out with them, be they in red or white.

Same thing in college. We didn't lose friends, we gained new ones.

So, with this new development in my life, I'd hope to gain new insights and I'm excited to have new friends. Even though I am in exclusive contract with Star Cinema, I am open to anything -- be they fulfillment and/or disappointments.


Ngayon, hindi lang ako Kapuso, Kapamilya pa! Kabarkada rin (Studio 23) na Kasama Mo (RPN-9) dahil Idol Maging Iba (ABC-5). Ay, corny na ba? He he he.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, iba tayo!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jheck, you deserve it... c",)

sineasta said...

salamat sa inyo!

jove! buti naman at bumibisita ka pa. :-)