Sunday, August 28, 2005

I'm Not Usually This Vocal But...

Representatives from Prudential Life Plans have been calling me for 3-4 months now. They have told me to pick up the "free" insurance plan that they would give me in their office. Because I don't usually go (and don't feel like going) to Makati, I wasn't able to drop by their office. Until a few days ago, a representative told me that the insurance plan was in Ortigas already. Feeling quite bad about not getting it-- you know, I felt that I should at least be grateful that I'd be given an insurance plan for free, I decided to go and get it.

When I entered their office, there were lots of people "claiming" their "free" insurance plan. There were also noises coming from the other rooms where people were talking. Because of that, I felt anxious about the whole thing. Did I make the right choice? A guy (whom I forgot the name) came to me and said that he would be assisting me. Assist me with what?! Can I just get the insurance and leave?

So I was taken in a room where three other groups were talking. From the moment I sat on the chair, the guy began explaining about their saving/pension plan. Uh-oh, I told myself! I think I knew what was about to happen. He talked about savings, death, emergency, and the works! The usual speech of someone selling an "insurance". I listened to him attentively yet not really absorbing what he is saying. At the back of my mind, I felt that I was about to get duped.

After all the talk, he mentioned about my credit card being the one responsible for the payment of my so-called savings. That was the time when I knew that I had to speak up. He asked me for my credit card but I refused. I asked him, "So it would mean that I have to pay for this savings along with my purchases? E de lalaki ang gastusin ko niyan imbes na makatipid?" Of course, he then proceeded with his recorded speech.

"Sir, savings nga po ito. At least may makukuha kayo 'pag nangailangan kayo..." His words are to that effect.

"Oo nga. Still, kailangan ko ring bayaran yan. Sa'n naman ako kukuha ng pambayad niyan? Poproblemahin ko pa yan!"

"Pwede n'yo naman po i-terminate. Saka kung ano lang ang kaya ng budget nyo."

"Ayoko pa rin..."

"Try lang po natin. Tutal for approval pa lang ito. At least na-try n'yo. Ngayon lang po namin ito ino-offer..."

"E kapag na-approve, ano na gagawin ko?"

"E sir..."

This time, I felt that I need to stand my ground. "Look, I appreciate and understand your explanation. The thing is, wala akong ipambabayad diyan. Wala nga akong trabaho, e. Iintindihin ko muna 'yung gastos ko sa ngayon kaysa sa susunod pa."

He again talked about having financial problems in the future. I know that my reasoning about not thinking about the future is wrong but hey, I have to get my point across to this man! So I further added, "Ganito kasi 'yun. I went here cuz you have been calling me several times. I felt that I should be at least be grateful to what you're giving me. But I was told that it was free..."

"Free nga po itong insurance. Pero kasama po kasi sa package 'yung savings plan..."

"E de ganun din? Hindi pa rin free! Isa pa, you're telling me that you are offering this today." Actually, may sinabi pa siyang 1 minute lang ang ibibigay sa 'kin. After that, the offer is no longer available, parang ganun. "You are not giving me enough time to think. You are putting me on the spot. At hindi tama 'yun! To add to that, you're pressuring me..."

"Sir, kailangan po kasi ng pressure dahil nagyon lang 'to..."

"'Yun nga 'yung ayoko, e! I don't want to be pressured with these kind of stuffs!"

Medyo natahimik na siya. "Okay, sir. Pirmahan n'yo na lang po itong free insurance plan."

"And then what?"

"Wala po. Free 'yan. No obligations."

So I did. Afterwards, I fill out the raffle coupon. Then I left...

Before I left, though, I heard the agent saying to his co-agents, "Di ako nagwagi." Pasensya ka! Ako napunta sa 'yo, e!

I don't usually talk like that to "strangers". But I felt that I was deceived and I didn't like it. Ako pa ang lolokohin nila? I know how their speech works! I was trained in a computer-selling company for a week after I graduate. I was also deceived then. I thought that I was getting a job, 'yun pala pagbebentahin ako along with some other duped people. (Ang siste, they would tell that if you buy the computer on that day, free printer will be given! Only for that day kasi last day. So the customers are forced to make a decision. When in reality, you are paying for the printer, as well! Kasama sa presyo 'yun! Because I don't like pressuring people to buy stuffs from me, I left the so-called job as soon as the training was over.) Aside from that, I know how the pressure tactics work! I won't be put in agreeing with a situation that I would regret afterwards! I'm not that stupid!

Here my other thoughts re what happened. How could I buy from an agent who is younger than me? How could he made me believe that he was already saving for his future? Yeah, right! Aside from that, how could I be convinced by someone who spells "transfer" as "transper" and "lump sum" as "lumsum"?!

If the insurance was really "free" from anything, why couldn't they send it at home directly? At least, they wouldn't be hassled to call us every now and then. Palibhasa may hidden agenda! They want to bring people in their territory and pressure them from giving what they want!


Isa pa, how would I know the offer was legit? May magagawa pa ba ako kung hindi?!

The moment I felt anxious, I thought of "Family First" immediately! My advice, never ever receive free movie tickets from "Family First" representatives! Because once you do, they'd ask you for your name and number. They'd call you and ask you to come to their office. Before you know it, sinisipsip na ng mga linta ang dugo mo!

Credit card companies should be reported to the proper authorities! They shouldn't be giving names and contact numbers of their account holders. This is definitely an act of violation! Savings nga pero talong-talo ka naman sa interest na babayaran mo! Iisahan n'yo pa kami! Utot nyo!


There is nothing wrong about insurance plans as long as you get them from legitimate sources or referrals from people you know. Maybe PLP is legit but the way they do their business is wrong!

Lastly, I guess, there is really no such thing as "free" in this world!

No comments: