Monday, October 23, 2006

Brief Movie Reviews

I know that I haven't been reviewing movies lately. I have been quite busy with school or I guess, it is just plain laziness on my part. Anyway, since it's sorta our sem-break already, I'd just do some quick reviews on the movies (on film and on video) that I have seen the past couple of months.

World Trade Center (2006)
Nicolas Cage, Maria Bello, Michael Peña, Maggie Gyllenhaal
Oliver Stone

Seeing the trailer of this film would almost get you to tears. I am a sucker for films about disasters and struggles so I was excited when it finally arrived in theaters. The problem with the whole film, though, was, like the trailer, it would also almost get you to tears. Halfway through your emotion-filled heart and the movie would end. It will leave you wanting for release.

When I saw the end credits, I realized that it was an Oliver Stone movie. Like any other Stone film, WTC is a movie epic. A film about the struggles of human being against the forces of nature and the evil that surrounds it. It is a film about good winning against the bad. Of course, like in any other epic stories, real human emotions are overlooked. The focus is more on the struggles rather than the emotions involved in it. With that, it'd be difficult to relate to.

Case in point is Maria Bello's character. Maria was very good in History of Violence. You could almost feel the pain and emphatize with her in it. But in this one, she seemed distant and controlled. For chrissakes, your good husband is missing and could be dead! Why act as if you're torn between wanting him alive and wishing him dead? Also, when it comes to disaster films, it is best if there would be background story of the characters. In that way, it'd be easy to relate to them and root for their safety. Without it, audiences would simply don't care whether they live or die.

My rating: 3 out of 5

Pulse (2006)
Kristen Bell, Ian Somerhalder
Jim Sonzero

Pulse is a Hollywood adaptation of Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Kairo. I have a copy of the said Japanese film for quite some time now yet I haven't seen it. According to Biboy, the film is creepy just by its theme and content. Imagine, bad spirits invading today's technologies and acting out as virus on the net and on cell phones. They used the said technologies to get what they want: souls of living people.

I couldn't compare this remake with the original version. However, Pulse is creepy enough to sustain one's interest in the film. The ghosts freaked me out! I guess it pays that I saw this first. Not that good but not that bad either.

My rating: 3 out of 5

The Devil Wears Prada (2006)
Meryl Streep, Anne Hathaway
David Frankel


I fell deeply in love with this film that I had to ask my students to see it and make a report out of it. Call me silly but I believe that students could learn something from the experiences of Andrea Sachs (Anne Hathaway). Some of my students are about to embark on the world of business and some are even working part-time. They have to realize that patience and faith in oneself are the keys to become successful in one's career. It is inevitable that one would meet setbacks such as having the devil as boss. However, instead of getting downhearted by it, one has to look at it as challenge in order to succeed. I have encountered the beast once and I should say that the battle wasn't pretty. The important thing is that I came out of hell alive and dignified.

Anyway, I have digressed. What I mostly loved about the film was Meryl Streep! I am a huge fan and her perfomance as the mean and coldhearted boss who talks monotously was remarkable! The sight of her would really send chills in an employee's spine.

Beyond the glamour and fashion in the film, it talks about work ethic and how one should face the challenges ahead of him.

Outstanding acting from a great ensemble and a great soundtrack to boot!

My rating: 4.5 out of 5

Snakes on a Plane (2006)
Samuel L. Jackson, Julianna Marguiles
David R. Ellis

I wanted to distance myself to this film but I couldn't help it. Something in me just dragged me inside the theater with Acy and Don.

This is a film that you'd love to hate yet would love to see! Forget about the story. Just get in and enjoy the ride! You'd never believe how much fun you'd be in afterwards.

What was good about this film was that it wasn't pretentious. No one had said that it was a great film. You get what you see. It is what is - a brainless carnival ride.

Good editing and effects. Writing is commendable, too, for the suspense and fantastic thrills with the snakes. I never realized that getting scared is this much fun!

Once in a while, take the risk with these types of films. Don't judge it by it's title. This one would definitely be part of my DVD collection once it comes out!

This one's a classic now!

My rating: 4 out of 5

I Not Stupid, Too (Singapore)
Shawn Lee, Joshua Ang
Jack Neo

I Not Stupid, Too is a sequel to the previous movie of the same title. It is about the lives of students (particularly the three main characters) and their relationships with their families and teachers these days in modern Singapore. Both films mostly tackled the same issues but the sequel focused more on the lack of communication between parents and their children because of work. This non-communication leads to misunderstandings and a not-so-good performance in school. Further, it tells that using traditional ways in teaching somehow retards the growth of student's learning. Teachers have to adapt themselves in this ever changing and evolving world.

INST was a hit amongst my students. I knew that they would enjoy and appreciate the film but there was hesitation on my part - it being in Singaporean language with English subtitles only. I was really glad when I heard them laughing and seeing them crying in the end. Some even stayed after the first screening had ended to see the second one.

It isn't difficult to relate to this film. Even Filipinos are experiencing such non-communication between parents and children whether it'd be because of work or other matters. Teacher-student relationships could also be problematic. Traditional teachers somehow distance themselves to the students with their attitudes towards teaching while the non-conventional ones could be accused of crossing the boundaries with them. Either way, INST has a lot going on in it. It is very insightful at the same time entertaining.

This one shouldn't be missed! Same goes for I Not Stupid. In my book, they're two of the greatest films in history!

My rating: 5 out of 5

No comments: