Monday, October 22, 2007

Are You Gay?

Eto na naman ako stalling my writing before going to the office. Nami-miss ko na rin naman ang pagba-blog. Partly because of the busy schedule. Kahit na di araw-araw 'yung pagpasok sa Star, parang ganu'n na rin kasi madalas kaming nag-iisip ng mga bagong kwento. Mind you it isn't easy. Nakakapagod. That leads me to my other reason for not blogging as much as I want to, exhaustion. I like to spend my "non-writing" days resting, watching movies, or ang favorite past time sa office, thinking! Hehehe. Miss ko na ring mag-review ng films. By not doing so, hindi ko na maalala kung ano ba 'yung mga movies na napanood ko this year. Nakakalimutan ko na rin 'yung ibang titles which is very unlikely of me. Siguro dahil na rin 'yun sa sunod-sunod na panonood ng movies na kailangan ko to come up with storylines required of us.

Anyway, that's not the point of this particular post. Recently, Victor Basa was asked by Will Devaughn in one episode of PBB Celeb Edition 2 if he was gay. Medyo I found it discomforting especially when I saw the video just today. I felt that it was such an insensitive act from Will given that it was around all other housemates and in front of national television. Kahit pa sabihing he, too, was cornered by Boy Abunda by telling him to ask Vic one question that people are dying to know most about models.

Boy: Ganito na lang, Will. Gayahin mo nga ako. Kunwari ini-interview mo si Vic. Ask him the one question that everyone wants to ask. . . Ano ba ang tinatanong ng mga tao sa mga modelo? Vic Basa, are you. . .
Will (hesitating puts the mic on Vic): . . .gay?
Vic: I. . . Well . . . Recently. . . na-cut 'yung relationship ko sa babae so. . . as far as. . . parang, as far as I can tell, straight naman ako.
Will: . . .Sure ka?
Vic (a lil bit surprise with the question but not given the chance to answer)
Will: Joke lang! Nagbibiro lang, pare!

Perhaps it was Boy who instigated it or Will already has that question in mind. Nevertheless, it was embarassing for both him and Vic, especially to Vic. Hindi lang 'yun. Bastos ang dating. Why do I say this? The most dreaded question for closet gays is "Are you gay?" I'm not saying that Vic is (but it'd be wonderful if he is! Super crush ko siya!) but I'm speaking in general. I feel that one's sexuality shouldn't be other people's business unless may hidden agenda sila sa pagtatanong o pakikialam. Sure, it's exciting to pry but what happens after you put someone in such humiliation? Hindi madaling umamin ng tunay na pagkatao sa mapanghusgang sosyedad. People do not know what closeted gays go through from the moment they know that they are different to the beginnings of coming out. So sana lang that they could be more sensitive to the issue rather than pagpiyestahan ito.

I admit na guilty rin ako sa pang-uusyoso but I never once cornered people into asking if they are gay or not. Kasi ayoko rin namang gawin sa 'kin 'yun. But when I came out, non-issue na 'yun para sa 'kin. Although naging hesitant ako about answering that question last year kasi feeling ko malisyoso ang pagkakatanong sa 'kin ng isang GMAAC workshopper. Sa harap din ng mga ibang group members 'yun when he asked, "May gf ka ba? Eh bf?" Sabi ko wala. Later, Acy & I realized that there was something "odd" about his gestures towards me, especially when he learned the truth when I bought Biboy along with me during one of our meetings. 'Yun ang sinasabi kong hidden agenda about asking someone's sexuality. Either may personal kang interest sa tao or you're in a sort of vengeful mood or something closer to that or you're a homophobe. Otherwise, ano bang pakialam mo, di ba? 'Wag ka masyado apektado, pwede ba?


No comments: