Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Inday Chronicles: Chapter 1

Gathered from different e-mails, text messages, and forums, here is the story of Inday (as in kwento form!). Let's humanize her and the people around her. With that, sadya kong binago ang ibang linya ni Amo. 'Wag naman nating gawing bobo ang pobre. Di man siya sing-talino ni Inday sa English, di rin naman siya bobo. Hehehe.
Ito ang nagagawa ng hirap sa pagsusulat ng sequence treatment. Iba ang ginagawan ng script! Hahaha!
***

Biodata ni Inday

Name: Inocencia Binayubay
Nickname: Inday
Age: 18
Parents: Aling Seling at Mang Andoy
Siblings: Iying 13, Itoy 8, Iking 5, Ederlyn (allegedly half-sister) 18

Education
College - La Salle 2nd year (scholar)
High School - Manila Science High School (Valedictorian, Best in English)
Elementary - Sta. Monica Elem School (Valedictorian, Best in Dancing)

Work Experience
3 years Household Service Manager (katulong) - Mr. and Mrs. Eugenio Lopez

***

Chapter 1: Inday’s Housecapades

Dahil sa tindi ng kahirapan sa probinsya, namasukan si Inday bilang katulong sa Maynila. Habang ini-interview ng amo . . .

Amo: Kelangan namin ng katulong para mag-ayos ng bahay, magluto, maglaba, magplantsa, mamalengke, at magbantay ng mga bata. Kaya mo ba ang lahat ng ito?
Inday: I believe that my trained skills and expertise in management with the use of standard tools, and my discipline and experience will contribute significantly to the value of the work that you want, my creativity, productivity and work-efficiency and the high quality of outcomes I can offer will boost the work progress.
Amo: Aba, impressive nga!

Makaraan ang dalawang araw, nakitang may bukol si Junior. . .
Amo: Bakit me bukol si Junior?
Inday:
Compromising safety with useless aesthetics, the not-so-well engineered architectural design of our kitchen lavatory affected the boy's cranium with a slight boil at the left temple near the auditory organ.
Amo: O siya, papalitan ang lababo! Gawing child-friendly!

Na-homesick si Inday. . .
Inday:
I stay awake in the coldness of the darkened sky contemplating why, for some reasons, has my emptiness made itself manifests, extending to that niche where I was given life and growth, that because of austerity I was made separated from.

. . .kaya sumulat sa probinsya:

Dear Mommy,

Had it not been for the smelling salt, I must have collasped moments ago. Junior has become a little monster to me. Remember the head trauma he had? As if it wasn't enough, he was summoned by the principal of his shabily run academe. Oh, such erudite bunch of baboons! I never thought being a governess can be such a strenuous employ.

Missing you,
Inday

Sinagot ng ama:

Dear Inday,

Walanghiya ka! Magpadala ka ng pera! Nasa ospital ang nanay mo...dumugo ang ilong kakabasa ng pesteng sulat mo!

Love,
Tatay

Ngunit sadyang malikot si Junior. Pinagsabihan niya ito nang minsang nagluluto siya:
Inday:
Stop your raucous behavior. It is bound to result in property damages and if that happens there will be corresponding punishment to be inflicted upon you!
Junior: Yes, Yaya.

Ayan, natalsikan siya tuloy ng mantika:
Inday:
Bloody hell! What the f*ck did just land on my cutie top? I mean, I've spent all that just to make myself look fabulous. I think I'll have this eewy thing removed in a whip of time!

Sa hapunan:
Amo: Bakit maalat ang ulam?
Inday: The consistency was fine. But you see, it seems that the increased amount of sodium chloride (NaCl) affected the taste drastically and those actions are irreversible. I do apologize. Amo: (nag-isip) Anyway, bakit ba sa tuwing pag-uwi ko, nadadatnan kitang nanunuod ng TV?! Inday: Because I don't want you to see me doing absolutely nothing.
Amo: O, eh bakit daw umalis si Angel Locsin sa GMA-7? Nanood ka ng The Buzz, di ba?
Inday:
Sometimes, people choose to leave not because of selfish reasons but because they just know that things will get worse if they'll stay. Leaving can be a tough act, and it's harder when people can't understand you for doing so.
Amo: May point nga naman siya sa pag-alis, no?

Sa almusal:
Amo: Bakit hilaw ang kanin?

Inday:
The dwindling resource of hydrogen2 and oxygen present, coupled with the stabile amount of precise heat in the thermal environ of the vessel, resulted in the premature hydration of the 'Oryza Sativa', hence the calefaction factor was rendered lost and wandering when the algid formation came about.
Amo: Sabi ko sa 'yo sinangag na lang sa umaga, eh.

Minsan sa tanghalian:
Amo: Ba’t di ka naglagay ng kangkong sa sinigang?
Inday:
Ipomea aquatica has become the constant ingredient to this Filipino delicacy which is very helpful in the digestion during the peristaltic process of the food we intake. Due to the continuous rains and floods, the harvest of the said vegetables has lessened the production in the market.
Amo: Dinamihan mo sana ang sitaw kung ganu'n.

Nang mamamalengke na siya:
Inday:
Attached herewith is a list of proposed acquisition in line with my proposal to upgrade your household facilities. I have already made initial survey of current market prices. Note however that prices could vary depending on the prevailing exchange rate and aggregate supply and demand which we also monitor on an hourly basis.
Amo: Sige, ingat ka!

Sa palengke, kausap ang tindera:
Inday:
Hey, guess what! The not so stunning guy keeps on staring at my french-tipped nails while the copy-cat freaks, like, envy my newly coated hairdo. Unfortunately after a great spa, I have to step on this murky and stinky bricks just to get some bunch of veggies!
Tindera: Where is the stunning guy?! Make turo to me naman, oh!

Matapos mamalengke, dumaan muna si Inday sa Starbucks:
Inday:
I hate how coffee turns into an addiction and how it keeps you up all night. How it burns and makes your heart beat fast. Especially how it makes you crave for its rich and sweet promises of grains, milk and sugar. Moments later, it puts you into a melancholic mood of coldness. Before you realize, it has consumed you before you consume it. Empty. Bitter. Then again you crave for another cup. Just like love...

Inihahanda ni Inday ang baon ni Junior:
Inday:
Drunken tiger shrimp and blue lobster meat, cut diagonally & caviar served with milagrosa rice (red variety) and apricot sauce. Vegetables in balsamic vinegar splashed with extra virgin olive oil garnished with mint leaves. For dessert lychee and peach salad.

Sa school ni Junior, diretso principal’s office si Inday:
Principal: Sinuntok ni Junior ang kanyang kaklase.
Inday: It's absurd! It was never a fact that he will inflict a fight. I can only imagine how you handle schizophrenic kids on this educational institution. Revise your policies because they suck!
Principal: We'll take it under consideration, Miss Inday. . .

Pag dating sa bahay, nandun na ang amo, galit na galit.
Amo: Inday, bakit nagkalat ang basura sa likod ng bahay?!
Inday:
A change in the weather patterns might have occurred wrecking havoc to the surroundings. The way the debris are scattered indicates that the gust of wind was going northeast causing damage to the path it was heading for.
Amo: Pesteng hangin 'yan, o!

Nagka-rashes si Junior:
Amo: Day! Bakit may rashes si Jun-Jun?
Inday:
Allergens triggered the immune response. Eosinophillic migratin occurs to the reaction site and release of chemotactic and anaphylotoxin including histamine and protaglandins. These substances result to increased circulation to the site promoting redness.
Amo: I see. . .

Si Junior, ayaw mag-aral:
Inday: The brain is not a muscle. It can accumulate vast information. The neurons can create millions of synapses because of neural plasticity.
Junior: Sige na nga!

Humingi ng day-off is Inday.:
Inday:
Physical stress and excessive work may result to serious damage to one's body. It is therefore essential that once in a while, we take a break from our usual routine to replenish our lost energy.

Dahil hindi pinayagan, isama na lang daw siya sa Enchanted Kingdom:
Inday: Don't limit my capacity to the four corners of this luxurious abode. Expose me to the real challenges of the outside world 'coz I want to grow as an individual with dynamic experiences!
Amo: K! Fine!

Sa restaurant:
Waiter: Ano po order nila, Ma'am?
Amo: Ung Fried Chicken meal lang. Ikaw, Inday, ano sa 'yo?
Inday: I would like to partake of a dish of sauteed pork and chicken, boiled in thick essence of soy and cane extracts, with copious amounts of garlic, onion and laurel, sprinkled generously with fine spices and served with a generous helping of root crop and a helping of rice.
Amo: Iho, Adobo with rice daw.

Napansin ni amo ang kutis ni Inday:
Amo: Ano gamit mong sabon?
Inday:
Only belo touches my skin, who touches yours?

Pagba-budget ni Inday:
500 = Globe plan subscription
1800 = glutathione tablet
600 = Olay total effects
1500 = pink Crocs flip flops
2000 = savings

Nang minsan may tumawag sa bahay:
Inday: Hi, you are calling in the midst of me cooking our lunch, my superiors aren't around. I'm the immediate person in support. How may I help you? If you wish to leave a message, an abrupt tone means you’re diverted to our voicemail.
Caller (sa sarili): Wrong number ata.

Sagot ni Inday sa Dugu-dugu gang:
Inday:
I pity you for you have degraded your very own pride and dignity by resorting to this despicable behavior just for the sake of having something to feed your fetish appetite for wealth and I hope that one day you'll be rational enough to realize that you should not use other humans as means in the attainment of your ends. As what the great philosopher Kant uttered, 'treat a man as an end in himself.

Dahil di sanay sa microwave, sumabog ito nang gamitin ni Inday.
Amo: Bakit sumabog ang microwave? Ano ang ginawa mo?
Inday: Success is often the result of taking misstep in the right direction. Show me a person who has never made a mistake and I'll show you somebody who has never achieved much.
Amo: P'wes, ibabawas ko 'yan sa sweldo mo! Mistake mo 'yan, magdusa ka!

During inventory sa bahay:
Amo: Inday! Bakit mo binenta 'yung sira na silya?
Inday:
I have computed the chair's fair value less cost to sell, and the value in use using projections for 5 years and a pretax discount rate. Accordingly, the value in use us lower, so I decided to sell the chair. This is in accordance with PAS18 on Revenue, PAS16 on PPE, and PAS36 on Impairment of assets.
Amo: Ah ganun ba?

Nalungkot si amo. May sentimental value ang silyang iyun sa kanya:
Inday:
It's hard to run from a feeling that haunts you every now and then. Painful to tell your heart that you don't need it. You keep on pretending that you are better off alone, when in fact, you feel so empty. But why take chances if you see no hope? Why try if there's nothing to win for? Sometimes, it pays to wait. Never hurry, let infatuation die a natural death and give birth to true love when it's time.
Amo: Alright. (sigh)

Sa Embassy:
Consul: Why do you want to go to US?
Amo: To travel, to visit friends
Consul: Denied!
Consul: And you?
Inday: For life is never ending pursuit of material and social satisfaction that I tender my great intent of actualizing a transpacific journey to the land of milk and honey. An affabale sanctuary where dreams become reality and a perfect habitat where souls like mine can reach the pedestal of freedom.
Consul: Visa granted! Ma'am, we denied your helper.
(Narinig ng amo)
Amo: Excuse me?! Nagkakamali ka!

Side trip sa Spain:
Inday (habang tumatawad sa palengke):
Uster por favor? Puede darnos un descuento porque mi senora y yo solo turistas estan en su pais bonito? Nosotros no tenemos mucho dinero pra que cualquier forma de descuento usted puwede darnos seria la mayoria apreciado.
Amo: Saan ba ang probinsya mo, Inday?
Inday: Sa Siquijor po. . . But I can be conversant in French Italian, and Spanish. My accent may bother you but I take no offense if you make snide remarks on my account. I understand your limited exposure to culture. C'est vout plait. . .
Amo: Bakit di ka na lang mag-call center? Pa-inggles-inggles ka naman?
Inday:
I don't think that I'd want to have easy money for I know that choosing such employment is already limiting myself from experiencing enthusiastic ways of expressing what I feel by means of what I do, thus imprisoning myself with an incapable mind which will result to doubt and uncontentment.
Amo: May punto ka nga!

May pulubing tumayo sa harap ng gate:
Inday: Off you go, under no circumstance this house would relent to such unabashed display of vagrant destitution!
Pulubi: A**hole! Biatch!

Si Lagring, ang plantsadora, nagkaroon ng family problem:
Inday: When you have a problem, don't hesitate to tell it to people you can't live without. You have friends and love ones that you can depend on. So even if you say you need nobody, you're wrong. Remember what MJ said to PeterParker? "Everybody needs help, even Spiderman. . .
Lagring: Sorry, di ko napanood 'yun, eh.

Nag-open-up naman ang isang katulong ng kapitbahay sa kanya. Magre-resign na siya:
Inday: The highest courage is to dare to be yourself in the face of adversity. Choosing right over wrong, ethics over convenience, and truth over popularity. . . These are the choices that measure your life. Travel the path of integrity without looking back, for there is never a wrong time to do the right thing.
Katulong: Sure ka riyan?

Dumating si Manang, nakikitsismis:
Inday:
Much as I want to indulge in the pedantic palaver proliferation of such indecent idiosyncrasy and malicious information, I want to lift the stigma and alleviate society's perception of our profession.
Manang: Hmph! Ang sungit nito!

But Manang wouldn't take it sitting down. She was offended. Dahil dito, tsinismis niya si Inday sa neighborhood. Kinausap ang amo niya:
Manang: Ang batayan ng pagiging mahusay na kasambahay ay hindi masusukat sa kakayahan sa mahusay na pakikipagtalastasan gamit ang pananalitang banyaga. Sa halip, ito'y masusuri sa kakayahang gampanan ang pangkalahatang gawain at pagsisilbi sa taong pinaglilingkuran. Wala sa salita kundi sa gawa!

Pinagtanggol ni Inday ang sarili sa amo:
Inday:
Listening to the nonsense talk about someone's life is a pathetic way of entertainment. It doesn't contribute to the good of society. I hate character assassinators! There are those people who don't like me. People who criticize how I run my life. People who just say things that hurt me. People who do things to give me pain. People who will never understand my principles in life. People who will keep on trying to put me down and tell bad things behind my back. But through it all, I struggle to prove them myself. . . That I did not exist to please them.

Minsan, nairita ang amo:
Amo: Inday, Filipino ka kaya mag-Filipino ka. Tandaan mo ang sinabi ni Gat Jose Rizal, ang sinumang hindi magmahal sa sariling wika ay higit pa sa malansang isda.
Inday:
Ang mga namutawi sa inyong mga labi ay mataman pong iimbak sa sulok ng aking balintataw at kaibuturan ng aking ouso, at gugunam-gunamin, aariing salik ng aba at payak kong kabatiran. Akin nang tatalikdan ang matayog at palalalong banyagang wika, at ang kinagisnan manapa'y kakalingain, bibigkasin, at sakdal timyas na sasambitin ng aking kalooban.
Amo: O-K.

Minsan, mainit ang ulo ni amo. Namura niya si Inday:
Inday:
Nurture others with positive, truthful words, not words that hurt. It doesn't cost anything to do so. But mean what you say, and say what you mean. Do it everyday. This is one of the most obvious qualities of the most beloved people. If you cannot be generous financially, at least be generous with your words.
Amo: Sorry. (sabay yuko)

But like any other employee, Inday has to move on:

Dear Ma'am/Sir,

I hereby tender my irrevocable resignation as your employee, effective today. It has been a pleasant stay in your company, but owing to personal reasons I am compelled to move on. I would like to thank you and your good management for the wonderful experience accorded to me during my stay in your company

Yours truly,
Inday



***

(Next - Chapter 2: Inday & Dudung)

No comments: