Friday, October 26, 2007

On the Way to Avenue Q

On the last few steps of Gil Puyat LRT station, I decided to buy Mentos. "Magkano Mentos?" I asked. Batà-batà pa 'yung tindera. Arounds 20s siguro. A guy was with her who was also seated in front of the items they sell. Busy siya with something. The tindera replied, "Piso."

"Piso isa?" I asked back. I had to clarify it since the last time I bought candies through such vendors 3 or 2 for a peso pa. The vendor nodded. Syemas! Mahal na nga ang bilihin.

I took 5 Mentos and paid her 5 pesos. Then she asked, "Koreano ka?"

I was wearing earphones that time so I had to take it out to make sure that I heard the question correctly. "Ha?"

"Koreano ka?"

"Hindi," I answered with a sort of wonder in my eyes.

"Chinese?" she asked again.

"Hindi."

I can tell that she wasn't satisfied with my response yet, "E ano ka?"

"Filipino!" I said.

"Ah. . . Mukha ka kasing Chinese, eh."

I just nodded and went down.

"Ingat po kayo," pahabol niya.

I thanked her and went on my way.

The said incident happened a month ago already (Sept. 23 to be exact). I was on my way to RCBC Theater to meet Nori, Gilbert, and Biboy for the Avenue Q play. I just thought of blogging it in because it was the oddest comment about me that I have heard so far. Ni sa hinagap, hindi ko naisip na mukha akong Chinese. Not that there's anything wrong about looking Chinese, ah. I just find it weird. Sa'n naman kaya nanggaling ang comment na 'yun? Hindi kaya dahil mayro'n akong maliit na kuliti that time on my right eye?

Well. 'Yun lang. It just was sort of funny in a weird way.



No comments: