Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Goodbye Before Hello

I woke up with the news that film critic Alexis Tioseco died. I was shocked, of course, and had to know what happened to him. According to news report, he and his girl friend were murdered by three gunmen who were robbing their house. The robbers were already inside the house when they arrived. It was an inside job. Their newly-hired house help was with the robbers.

I don't know Alexis personally. Napapanood ko lang siya nu'ng nag-re-review siya ng movies sa Review Night sa Cinema One a few years back. Then I saw him again on cable in ANC's Media In Focus a few weeks ago talking about the recent Cinemalaya festival. Somehow, I feel some sort of affiliation with him since we're both movie critics. (Hindi nga lang ako professional critic like he was.) Kahit hindi kami magkakilala, I feel a connection just because we both love movies. It is the same connection I have with fellow Sharonians or Madonna fans. Kapag nagkakilala kayo, may instant bonding na, 'ika nga. Nasa isang circle kasi kayo. So I can't help feel saddened by the news. (Just like the way I felt when I learned that Wanggo Gallaga, whom I also know through Review Night, is sick. But of course, this case is different.) Hindi ko pa man siya nakikilala nang personal, nawala na siya. I was hoping to meet him pa naman. (O sige na nga! Crush ko siya, kaya ganu'n! Pati si Wanggo! :D)

Murder is not the way to go! Nakakalungkot talaga at nakapanggigigil at the same time! It was a case of coming home at a wrong time. Napaisip nga ako na what if na-delay sila ng kaunti sa pag-uwi. What if they stopped for gas muna? What if they had coffee muna? O nasiraan kaya? Maaga-aga pa rin naman nu'n kung tutuusin. Or hadn't left the house at all?

Bakit ba ganu'n na lang kadali sa iba na kumitil ng buhay ng tao? It is one thing to take their possessions and another to take their lives, as well. Ganu'n na ba kaliit ang halaga ng buhay ng tao?


Photo taken from Reenshi's Flickr account
See his works:
Atioseco's Photostream
CritiCine

Read more write-ups about him by fellow critics:
Noel Vera
Francis Cruz

No comments: