Friday, May 05, 2006

How Confident Are You?

How confident are you? I seldom hear that question whenever I go to job interviews. In fact, it was the first time that an employer asked me that. I just got back from my alma mater where I did a teaching demonstration about the topic they selected, "Theories of Personality". I didn't get much time to prepare about it since I've learned about the demo only last Wednesday. But then again, I need not prepare much since it was only 5-7 minutes short. What I prepared was sort of an introduction to the topic.

After the demo and some questions asked, the EO of the said school finally asked, "How confident are you that you'd get a load?" This type of question is a tricky one. How could one answer such an inquiry without sounding overly confident of your self or in doubt of your capabilities? If you'd say that you are sure that you'd get the job, you may sound arrogant. If you'd say that you are not sure, it might show that you are doubtful of what you just showed them earlier on. If you yourself are in doubt, pa'no pa kaya sila?

Anyway, I told him, "90%" It is what's on top of my head at the moment. Because I know that I did good back there. I was able to introduced the topic well. I just did what I'd usually do in a class -- teach well. "And the 10% is...," the EO followed. "I'll leave it to chances. Because I believe that there no sure things in this world. No matter how much hard work you did, something is about to screw up. And you have to prepare for it even if it is just 10%."

When I left the school, I was feeling kinda anxious. That question really stucked in my mind. I'm not concern about the answer that I gave the panelists but how did it come about? Where did it come from? Why was it asked of me when it was not given to the first applicant before me? Was I over confident in my demeanor? I hope not. But what I know is that I feel that I studied my topic well. It isn't his forte so I felt that he can't asked much about it. True indeed because his questions were more touching on the personal level -- like my greatest achievement in life, my career path, etc. These queries seemed to surfaced with the fact that he seemed bothered with my GMA-7 workshop (this coming May 13 which was moved to the 20th). He must've felt that I won't be dedicated to the school. He have asked the question, "What if I get absorbed in GMA?" several times. I made the wrong impression with my first answer so I made sure that I'd redeem myself when asked again. I hope that saying that "school is my priority and that the workshop is something I need to do to learn" could make a difference.

One important thing to make note of during interviews is to whether say what seemed to be pleasing to the employer's ears or be honest with him and yourself. With whatever choice you make, make sure you could firmly stand up for it in the end...

No comments: