Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Kalat! Sabog!

I just got home from the interview. And boy, do I have some not so good news! I feel like that I made a mess out of myself. That I didn't get my point across.

Sarah, the one I spoke to on the phone, interviewed me along with a Korean woman whom I suppose is the owner of the place. It was after I took the 45-question test on the computer. It was easy. Simple grammar, vocabulary, and comprehension. I think that I did well on that. What troubling me was how I conducted myself during the interview. I feel like that I didn't get to answer the interviewers' questions very well.

One question that I think I made a mess out of was how would I encourage Koreans to study English in the Philippines whose English is only a second language? It was asked by the Korean woman whose name didn't register on my mind. I answered that Filipinos, most of the times, speak "perfect" English than those in the US. "Perfect English? Filipinos?" wondered the Korean. And then I mumbled words even I can't understand. I lost it!

I have used the wrong word for it. It should've been "better" instead of "perfect". Why do I say so? When it comes to teaching the English language, count on the Filipinos to do so because we know the rules of grammar. Unlike the Americans who tend to slack off on their grammar because it is their first language. They don't care whether they have spoken proper English as long as people get to understand. It is like the way Pinoys use the Tagalog language. Ask Pinoys on when to use "daw" and "raw" and I'm sure, they wouldn't know the difference.

That should've been the "perfect" answer to that question! And my oh my! I only said half of it!

I hate it that the synapses on my brain don't get to fire up in a spontaneous manner. It's only after I made the mistake that I get to realize what I have said wrong. Of course, it'd be too late to change anything.

The Korean woman also asked me how would I adjust myself to teaching adults like businessmen when I only handled children and teens. Silly me! I said that it wouldn't be a problem because I have mingled with adults, too, like my co-workers. I should've said that it really wouldn't be a problem because I have handled adults. Back in Fatima, professionals like dentists, medical technologists, even businessmen became my students! Why oh why didn't I think of saying that?!?!?!?

Luckily, Biboy was there to meet me in Megamall after the interview. I needed someone to be there with me. I was feeling so low.

One of the most used comfort words he said was that in case they won't accept, "it's their loss!" Such good words, right? But those words could only be powerful if they get to suffer because they didn't hire you. Their world would still revolve even without you, right? In relationships, you'd only get to know that not having you is somebody's loss when he comes running to you and say that his life is no better with you!

Sarah told me that she'd just call me to inform me about the result. I'm not hoping much for it anymore. I feel like I sold myself short. Maybe I'm better off as a writer...

Note: The movie poster is entitled "Please Teach Me English"...

1 comment:

sineasta said...

"Who says all the right things in interviews anyways?"

Yeah, I know. I'm just feeling the pressure of having a job. I need to make a good impression. I feel like I'm running out of time. :(

But who is the Korean woman to make judgments anyway? When she herself couldn't speak English well. I didn't even understand some of the words she have spoken. *grr*

Well, well, well. The words of someone who's bitter! Hehehe. :p

Thank you for your post. I truly appreciate it in my times of desperation... :)