Thursday, July 21, 2005

Phone Interview

One reason that alleviated my heavy feeling is the anxiety towards my phone job interview. I sent my resume online in MantoManEnglish.com earlier this week and they sent me a message yesterday. The phone interview was scheduled at 4:30 PM today but was moved to 7:30 PM. Instead them calling me, I decided that I should call them so the situation will be handled in my pace. As usual, bouts of self-pity resurfaced again. I've already rejected two interviews that were also of the same job. The first one was because it was in ParaƱaque. It is in the far south and I live in the far north. Time and commuting expenses would be my biggest obstacle. The second one was because I feared the so-called "stages" of interview. I don't have any idea about it but somehow, it didn't sound good to me. So I thought to myself, no guts, no glory!

The interview went fine, so I hope. Sarah, the interviewer, just asked me some stuffs about myself. I can't help but feel insecure, though, because I didn't have the American accent that they prefer interviewees have. After about 7 minutes or so of conversation, she asked me to come by their office on Tuesday at 4 PM.

One question that stucked in my head the most is this: "Is there a difference in teaching kids and college students?"

"Yes, there is a big difference," I said. "With children, when given assignments, they would do their best. If they weren't to, usually they didn't get to understand the lesson. But with college students, they won't do it just because they don't feel like to. It is sometimes easy dealing with kids than adults. The level of hard-headedness in adults is difficult to tolerate."

"So you mean that you'd rather teach children than adults?"

"Not exactly. It's easy dealing with kids, yes. But with adults, you get to converse with them easily with things that kids don't normally understand," I answered.

It'd would be really be hard to choose between the two. With kids, you get to be appreciated easily. It is such an amazing feeling that you get to mold these students into better people. It is a difficult task but challenging. With adults (or college studes), you get to be friends with them. You get to speak to them with adult-ish topics. Not only that, stimulating conversation is possible with them than with kids.

I hope that I get to have this job. I don't wanna get my hopes up because the last time I did, I didn't get the job. But this is the closest thing to going to Korea! I get to teach their people the English language! Aside from that, if I choose the 5am-2pm schedule, I... Oh, I'll stop here. I don't wanna think about it anymore. It's better not to jinx anything...

No comments: