Friday, February 25, 2005

How Did They Turn Into "Pasaways"?

After college, my college barkada and I were seeing each other through our Christmas get togethers here at home. Since I stopped celebrating my birthday through a party, it was the only way we could catch up on each other's lives. The first two to three years were fine. But it came to a point that the attendance became less and less that I decided not to have the said get together anymore. Besides, inviting them became too much of a burden for me. Imagine, calling them (no text messages then) one by one then following it up. Buti nga kung ganun lang. Makikipagpilitan ka pa sa kanila na pumunta. They'd say yes but on the day itself, they wouldn't show up! They'd give up all the excuses they could come up with once you get hold of them.

Randy. Saw him three years ago in Megamall. It was just a chance meeting. We didn't get to talk nor meet each other face to face. I was with my family and he was going up to catch "The Two Towers" premiere. Face to face though, we were together during the wake of Bhe-Bhe's father. That was about four to five years ago. Since then, just small conversations on the phone. But even before the wake, he hasn't been showing himself after college. I don't know why. It still puzzles me until now.

Nean. Wheng. Leo. T'was May 2001 when we were together. We saw "Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones" then. Funny that they didn't have any idea on what's going on on screen since it was their first Star Wars experience. We vowed to meet each other at least once in a month or two but it never happened. Now, four years after, and "Star Wars Episode 3" is coming up, we haven't been together as a group.

Bhe-bhe. Leigh. Joanne. Dex. We met last April 2004. It was also one of the "planned get togethers" where the others didn't show up. I told them that there'd be another one coming up soon.

Soon was today, February 25...

Last December, I received a message from Leo asking me to set up a get together since it'd be his last year as a bachelor. I tried telling people about it but we decided to have it by January, especially that it was Leo's month (birthday on Jan. 7). Bhe-bhe, however, told me that she wouldn't be free by January because she's tied up with work. I moved the schedule to Feb. 19. Leo, in turn, asked me to reset it because his sister is arriving from London that day and he'd be picking her up. Done! The sked was moved to Feb. 26. Later last week, Nean told me that she'd be having an office meeting on the 26th and asked me if we could have it on the 25th. I informed others and they agreed. Done! Madali naman akong kausap. Although deep inside, medyo nagngingitngit na ko. Do they notice how I try to fix the schedule according to what best suits them regardless of my own schedule?

The schedule is Feb. 25, Gerry's Grill at around 6:30-7:00 p.m...

At the start of the week, I received a message from Joanne telling me that she couldn't make it because she'd be having an occular inspection somewhere. I really wouldn't have a problem with it if she hadn't express her feelings of uncertainty re her attendance during the last time we talked. She called me on my birthday. The get together schedule then was Feb. 26 and she has been sort of "nag-iinarte". She has been telling me that she didn't know how to get to Tomas Morato. If I really want her to come, I should pick her up in Megamall. Dun pa lang, I could sense that she wasn't keen on attending. So when she told me about the inspection, I couldn;t care less whether it was true or not. If it was indeed true, then fine. The fact is, her not showing up isn't new anymore. She has done it several times before. That's why I have my doubts this time whether she has been telling the truth or not.

Of course, if Joanne is not around, could Leigh be far behind? Joanne had already told me that Leigh isn't coming because no one would be taking care of her daughter. Again, I'd completely understand it if, in fact, that was truly the reason. It has been shown so many times that if Joanne isn't coming, so is Leigh! Then, Bhe-bhe texted me telling me that Leigh's husband didn't allow her to come. So which is which?! Is it about her daughter or her husband? I've seen her through YM and told me about it. I wasn't too enthusiastic talking to her because I was really pissed off. She asked me on who's coming but I didn't say a word anymore.

That would lead us now to Bhe-bhe. Because of Leigh's message to her which Bhe-bhe's husband happened to read, di na rin siya pinayagan. Fine by me. The thing is, did Bhe-bhe ever thought that I moved the schedule from January to February because of her? Doesn't that count much? O sige, forget about it. However, would she still go if she'd learn that Joanne and Leigh wouldn't be coming prior to Leigh's message? The truth is, I'm already expecting it.

Richard? Oh don't get me started with him! He has some serious problems to deal with and I hope he'd do it soon! Magsama sila ni Randy!

Anyway, Leo called last night. Tinanong niya kung tuloy ba kami. I said yes. I thought, heck, why not go on even if we are just four? At least we're still capable of having fun.

All set. Meeting at SM North, 5:30 p.m. Wheng will fetch me before 5 p.m. at home. Carlo confirmed his attendance so we're five now.

Only that, Leo texted me telling me that he couldn't make it because her sister's flight was delayed. He's on stand by at the airport. That was my last straw! I've sent Nean, Wheng, and Carlo a message telling them that the get together is cancelled!

What has happened to them? How could these cool friends of mine in college turned into such "pasaways"? I know that we have different priorities now but that is not the question. No problems with having difficulties with husbands or children. When they're concern, no questions asked. Pero kung palagi nang nagiging pasaway, hindi na nakakatuwa. It has been a problem with after college and I don't exactly know what's eating them. Sobrang nakakapikon na sila! I'd go out of my way to schedule something up yet deadma sila.

Bahala na sila this time!