Thursday, February 17, 2005

Of Getting "Hitch" and Being 28

*I saw Hitch's selected scenes from NBC Today in EtC. T'was funny! Can't wait to see it. Opens on March 2.

*Biboy got accepted in a call center! He'd be starting on Monday in a 5 a.m.-2 p.m. shift. The contract is for six months. The problem now is how would he tell it to his parents. They know that he'd be reviewing for the board exams that he's supposedly be taking by June.

*I found out that Jen is leaving Sony. She'd be transferring to EGG (Entertainment Gateway Group). According to her, it "is a content provider companywhich supplies (ringtones, images, etc.) to mobile users." I wish her the best of luck in her new endeavor.

I remember when I was deciding to leave Northfield. T'was two years before I finally decided to give it go. Despite the fact that I didn't get a stable job after that, I've no regrets. It may not be one of the wisest decisions that I've made but I could say that it brought me great things. For one thing, I was able to meet guys and experience the power of s**! Imagine, I was a virgin 'till 24?! It wasn't so bad, I know, but, my my my, I didn't plan on it! If I'm still in NF, I wouldn't be able to have as much "fun" as I did when I left it. Note though that fun being in quotes signifies lots of stuffs, not just the oohhs and the aahhs!

There were times, however, that I miss NF: the people that I've worked with, the kids that I've taught. I've so many great experiences (and best times!) in it that when I get to other companies, I ended up comparing them with NF. Naging panuntunan ko na siya with how a company (or a school, for that matter) should be run. Yes, it has its faults but they won't matter since I was working with a good bunch of people:

1. Mr. Kawada - our Principal. He was great in a lot of ways. Great mentor and a great friend. I didn't expect that I'd become friends with my boss! He would even invite us out to see a movie at Louie's THX! (My my my, I miss those times!) Of course, who could forget the fact that he looked like Rico Yan!!! Hehehe...

The year I left NF was the same year he returned to Southridge (brother school of NF in Alabang). I didn't get to talk to him about his reasons for leaving but I've heard that it was about the school's management.

2. Mr. Macaventa - our Academic Director. Super bait, super pasensyoso, super galing na teacher, at super cute! Whoa! Super man ba ito?! Hehehe. I remember the times when he would ask about movies, how to care for videos, and renting out videos from me.

3. Noel Veloso - a good good friend and my direct superior during my last year. Aside from being "once-the-love-of-my-life", he was my confidante. Everytime that I feel bad about something, I talk to him about it. Ganun din siya. He was the one I was looking forward to seeing whenever I arrive in school in the morning. Hay naku, dami ko kuwento tungkol sa kanya. Kailangan isang topic ang ilaan ko sa kanya. Hehehe...

To this day, he's now working in Indonesia as a pre-school teacher. I haven't talked to him since.

4. Andrew Villar - despite all the reklamos we have against him, he's one good friend. He was, in fact, my very first friend in NF. Movies was the one thing that binded us together. The moment we started talking about it, tuloy-tuloy na.

5. Hay naku, dami pa.. saka na lang uli.

With that, should I go back to NF? No. I can't. I need to finish my Education units and get a teacher's license after the board exam. 'Yoko ng mag-aral pa, e!

*Post-Valentine thoughts:

+I've read in a newspaper a statement made by the author of "Cherries in the Snow", M. Forest. She said that she doesn't believe in celebrating Valentine's Day. According to her, why shower someone with "love" and gifts on that day? It wouldn't mean a thing if two people express their love for one another anytime if they feel like it. I believe so, too. Valentine's Day for me is just an ordinary day since Biboy and I express our love for each other anytime in the day or in the week.

++Being single. Is it really a choice or circumstantial? Years ago, before I met Biboy, I've accepted the fact that I'd stay single for the rest of my life. Not because I want to but because of the circumstances I'm faced with that time. With all the failed so-called relationships I had, I want to spare myself from aggravating the pain. Besides, I was too insecure back then. I felt like, with my condition, who would love me and stay with me till the end? T'was when I met Biboy that my whole outlook had changed.

With the "single" people around me, I have yet to meet someone who'd tell me that it was their choice. With all the relationships that came and went, they have chosen to remain unattached. Is there really someone who would choose to stay as "one" till the end because they wanted to and were not pushed into it? (Of course, people from "religious" sectors are not uncluded.) Are there single people who remained single without any bitterness?

What do I mean with "pushed" into it? Bad relationships, rejections, anger, etc. If you have noticed, people who are the epitome of a successful singlehood eventually got married. Cases in point? Madonna. Carrie. Miranda. Samantha. Aga Muhlach. Richard Gomez. As what Than-than says all the time, "What good is his carreer success if he can't share it with someone?" For him, it's a constant struggle to find "the one"...

*The final round of elimination in American Idol was shown today. It made me cry seeing the contestants who got rejected. It was truly an excruciating experience when you get rejected right in from of your face without ever knowing the reasons why. I've been through it several times: from job applications, from people you want to be romantically link with, etc.

There was this one time when I was applying at T.G.I. Fridays as HRD Staff right after graduation, before NF. The girl interviewer (dunno if she was the secretary) somehow implied that I'd be getting the job. She has been asking when could I start, been telling me about the salary, been telling me about the job, etc. Afterwards, she told me that the last person I need to see is the HRD boss. She stood up and told me to follow her. That was the time when she saw me walked! I saw how shock she was then.

When we reached the boss, all she did was whisper to the boss' s ear and look at me once in a while. It took her about a few minutes until she left me with the boss. From then on, I never heard anthing about the job requirements. All the boss could do was asked about my condition. He was not even satisfied with my answers that he had to repeat the same questions twice or thrice. When I was about to leave, he asked me about my teeth. I wasn't wearing braces then. He asked in such a way as if you would feel that everything about me was so wrong that day!

When I got home, all I could do was cry. I forgot how many days I did cry but it was buckets and buckets! From that moment on, I swore never to eat at TGIF!

*One (rejected) contestant from American Idol said, "I'm 28. This is it for me." Another one said (before he learned that he was "in"), "So what if I'm 28? Who said that I needed to go somewhere else?"

Two strong statements. Two conflicting remarks.

I'm 28. Where should I go now?

I'm not exactly bothered that I'm already 28. What bothers me is that I'm fast approaching the 30 year old age. 28 and still struggling career-wise. This is not what I have planned after graduation. I've read the (unfinished) short stories I've written before and I was full of hope back then. The plan was when I reach this age, I'd be a successful in whatever career I have chosen, got a nice car (and driving it!), got a condo unit for myself, and been to the US at least for a vacation. What happened now? What happened to those dreams?

One saying I remember that would fully answer the question is, "Life happens along the way..."