Wednesday, March 09, 2005

DVD Marathon

There's not much great movies that'd be coming out soon because of Holy Week. So I'll be spending the week or two watching DVDs. Movies I haven't seen on screen (yet) mostly.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

"Maria Full of Grace"

It is a harrowing tale of a 17-yr old Maria from Columbia who was forced to become a mule because of poverty. This movie is nothing but disturbing! Drug dealers have been thinking of clever ways to smuggle drugs in the US and this time, they make women swallow half a kilo of heroin (about 50-70 packs!) and excrete them afterwards. The heroin were packed in rubbers the size of film rolls. Not only it is disgusting, it is very dangerous! If one (or two) of the packs of heroin would break inside one's body, it'd cause death!

In
Nip/Tuck, dealers smuggle drugs through breast implants. Instead of the usual stuff being put inside the breasts, they put packs of heroin and take them out afterwards. What's depressing about it are the women who are forced to agree with the situation because of the dream of having a better life.

Great performance from Catalina Sandino Moreno who truly deserves the Oscar nomination! Aside from that, she looked awesome during the awards night!

*****

"Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason"

I don't know which is worst,"Bridget Jones's Diary" or this one. The problem with both movies is that it is trying too hard to be a British movie with a Hollywood flavor (or the other way around). British movies and Hollywood have very distinct flavors that seldom win when they try to put the two together. "Bridget Jones" is neither romantic nor sad. It is not even in-between! So what should we make up for it? Beats me!

Like in the "Diary", they failed to show again why Bridget should fall deeply for Mark Darcy. The movie didn't show why Mark is the best guy for her. For me, he is just one arrogant snob prick! What's so endearing about him? Unlike Daniel Cleaver, despite being an arse, showed how he could've fooled Bridget into loving him: with his smooth-talking ways and suave attitude towards women (before he gets them into bed!).

The only thing I loved about the film is its references to the Queen of Pop, Madonna! Plus, some great soundtracks that seemed to be popping up every few minutes of the film! What's up with that? Further, that lesbian thingy is so way over the top! Trying hard!

*****

"Alfie"

Awesome performances from the Jude Law to the supporting characters! Jude was perfect as the gigolo who was trying to find himself in the end. The characterization was perfect that you get to see the transformation: from happy-go-lucky kind of guy to what-is-life-all-about kind of guy.

Once (or more) in our lives, we have met Alfie. The smooth-talking bloke who you thought is the one but really just wanted to get into your pants. He might be the "embodiment" of an Adonis who sounds so perfect, but in the end, hindi siya kawalan. Like what he said, "six-pack abs aren't a deal-breaker" when you got a "good provider and a generally nice chap". At the end of it all, you'll have the last laugh and he'd be alone the rest of his life! He's one pathetic guy who don't know what love is even if it hits him in the face!

*****

"Sideways"

Sooooo sad... But soooo true... A movie about life itself.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

"Saw"

I've seen "Saw" in theaters. I'd like to watch it again. It's one the best (and most clever) thrillers that I've ever seen!

*****

"Before Sunrise"

Prior to "Before Sunset", there was "Before Sunrise". I've seen this 10 years ago and it didn't make much impact on me. Although I liked it. I love "Before Sunset" so I thought that I shoud see this one again.

*****

"Closer"

Oh, I want to see this one in theaters! I hope I could still wait for its showing which I don't know when!

*****

Speaking of movies though, Ian sent me a message re "Million Dollar Baby":

Ian: I admit, I ws wrong abt Million$Baby. It deservd all its awards. It's a tough muvi & all d charactrs r prfectly flawd (note irony), w/c makes them all too human.

I couldn't agree more!